Scenes from North Yorkshire
Ramble-ramblers-rambling-walks-walking-footpaths-bridleways: A clockwise version of Walk 6 "Buckden Rake and Yockenthwaite" in Collins Ramblers Guide "Yorkshire Dales" by David Leather. This is beautiful walking through 7 miles of great varying scenery from landscapes of river, meadows, open moorland, woodland and many limestone rocks - just great for rambling through at a leisurely pace for walkers/ramblers! The walk starts from the car park at the northern top end of Buckden and you go north-west to Hubberholme, skirt round via the tiny hamlet of Yockenthwaite before heading east for the even smaller hamlet of Cray. From Cray the walk heads south back to Buckden Village.
There is a good car park, (NOT free, but not costly parking) at Buckden with some impressive views before you walk on!
Town Head Barn, managed by the National Trust, acts as a small display centre of upland life in the Yorkshire Dales over the past few centuries.
There are two tea rooms - cafes in Buckden Village at the head of Wharfedale. The Buckden Village Stores, Tearoom and Restaurant (left) on the busy road and the West Winds Yorkshire Tearoom, Buckden (right) set higher up above the now re-opened Buck Inn (below), once a victim of bankruptcy back in the 2009 recession! Great to see the Buck Inn, Buckden, open again. The rooms have all been refurbished with good food at hand and nicely set in upper Wharfedale and good place to base for exploring the Wharfedale area of the Yorkshire Dales. All three cafes/pubs can be used before or after a walk exploring the top end of Wharfedale.
Heading away from Buckden (looking back) through the lush meadow fields by the River Wharfe towards the hamlet of Hubberholme.
The path to Hubberholme, heading north-west on the west bank of the River Wharfe.
The meadows just before Hubberholme - looking back towards Buckden.
You enter Hubberholme by the George Inn pub (once the vicarage!) and cross the River Wharfe by the single arched bridge to visit the Church of St Michael and All Angels. St Michael & All Angels was originally a forest-hunting chapel of St Oswald of Huberham, on a possible Anglo-Norse burial site. The churches earliest mention dates from 1241 when it was given to the monks of Coverham Abbey by William de Percy and was known as the chapel of 'St Oswald of Huberham' but by the 15th century it was dedicated to St Leonard.
St Michael and All Angels, a broad roofed low building with a sturdy tower. The building dates mainly from the late 12th century but seems to have been extended to the north in the 15th century. The porch is dated 1698 but probably a rebuild of an earlier porch.
The graveyard and 'solid' square tower of St Michael and All Angels.
The different styled arches and pillars of the north and south aisles of the nave.
Looking east down the nave through the fine oak rood screen to the altar and east window. The rood screen has a loft for musicians, one of only two such rood lofts left in Yorkshire. The rood loft may have come from Coverham Abbey in 1558 but the carved oak screen is even older and is marked with the crest of the Percy family. The pews were made in 1930 by the 'Mouseman' Robert Thompson of Kilburn.
A fine carving of the Last Supper of Christ with his Disciples.
One of the fine stained glass windows.
Details from the stained glass window - the text says "Pray for William de Percy and Joan his Wife".
Looking west down the nave with the north aisle on the right.
The columns and arches of the south and north aisles.
The capitals of columns of the aisle arches differ in style.
The lovely simply carved heptagonal stone font dates from the 15th century and to its right on the west wall is a plaque commemorating the norther literary giant J. B. Priestley. It reads "Remember J. B. PRIESTLEY O.M. 1894-1984 AUTHOR AND DRAMATIST Whose ashes are buried nearby. He loved the Dales and found Hubberholme one of the smallest and pleasant places in the world". Hubberholme was one of JB Priestley's favourite places.
The altar and east end of the Church of St Michael & All Angels. The east window is of clear glass so the congregation can see the lovely Yorkshire Dales during a service! To the right is the simple Lady Chapel.
An old richly carved chair chained to the pipes in the Lady Chapel.
The Hobson painted glass window (details of the Hobson stained glass window below).
Fragments of this 'patchwork window' symbolise the introduction of Christianity into the Saxon Kingdom of Northumbria. George Andrew Hobson was an engineer whose best known work is the viaduct across the Victoria Falls (see lower right panel) of the Zambezi River in Africa.
A seat carved out of the tree stump.
Goodbye the St Michael & All Angels Church, Hubberholme.
The swaledale sheep of Hubberholme awaiting the shearing!
Heading west along the north bank of the River Wharfe towards Yockenthwaite at the east end of Langstrothdale..
More lush meadows - rich pastures indeed below Rais Wood and Strans Wood.
The lovely river walking continues all the way to Yockenthwaite.
The River Wharfe.
Rich green grass, darkening skies and grey dry-stone walls.
A ruined dwelling just before Yockenthwaite.
First glimpse of Yockenthwaite.
The farm buildings at Yockenthwaite.
The single arched 'pack-horse' bridge at Yockenthwaite.
Heading east on the path from Yockenthwaite to Cray along 'Postman's Walk'.
Some Scots Pine on a rocky limestone outcrop.
Scar House - a Victorian house on the site of an older building that the Quaker George Fox visited in 1652.
Walking above Hubberholme Woods.
Limestone pavement above Hubberholme Wood.
Wonderful views of upper Wharfedale and lower Langstrothdale.
Even in the higher fields substantial 'dales barns' can be found.
"MEADOWLAND - SINGLE FILE PLEASE"
Clouds, sheep, grass and stone walls near Hay Close.
I love the outline of sheep on the horizon.
A lone cow, approaching Cray = one farm + 1 pub and the White Lion is a good place to pause or return for a good bar meal before crossing the stepping stones of Cray Gill to ascend south on the path back to Buckden.
The hamlet of Cray.
The winding road heading north from Cray to Kettlewell on Buckden Rake.
Fine pairs of curved horns on a fine pair of tups (rams to outsiders!).
Looking west down to Hubberholme from Buckden Rake.
There is a good wide track down the last stretch of track to Buckden.
Looking south down to Buckden village and Rakes Wood.
The section of track of Buckden Rake down through Rakes Wood is part of an old Roman Road that joined Ilkley in Wharfedale with Bainbridge in Wensleydale. In the Rakes Wood section the road has been cut into the limestone on one side and built up on the other - so a fine piece of 1700-2000 year old Roman civil-military engineering provides an excellent path for modern day ramblers.
Looking north back up the track from Buckden to Rakes Wood en route to Cray.
Back to the emptying car park at Buckden.
Northern England docspics images photos © Phil Brown Tourist information, Walks, Holidays in the Yorkshire Dales National Park, North Yorkshire England, Top tourist attractions, luxury hotels, self-catering holiday cottages, B&B, friendly pubs, cafes, eating out in fine restaurants, weekend breaks, wining & dining weekends, walking holidays, touring coach tours, pretty villages, historic towns, museums, local art galleries, guided walks, excellent fell hill walking, rambling, exploring the limestone landscape