City of YORK SCENES * York Area Index
4a. Some miscellaneous Medieval buildings, mostly re-used for various contemporary purposes plus a bit of baroque architecture
See sub-index below
Chantry House North Street * Parish Bar, Micklegate * Spurriergate Centre * Merchant Taylors Hall * St Andrew's, Spen Lane * St Saviour's Church, St Saviourgate * Unitarian Chapel, St Saviourgate * St Sampson's over 60s centre
See also the re-use of St Mary's Church, Castlegate as an art gallery
The Chantry House in North Street
The All Saints Cottages, North Street, next to All Saints Church, were probably built in the 15th century to support a Chantry for priests to All Saints and other churches in York. (see also page 3).
The Parish Bar in Micklegate
This was the Church of St John, Micklegate, mentioned in 1194. There is a Norman nave window and a few other such 'bits' of architecture, but the exterior is of the Perpendicular style. Latterly it was an arts centre but is now The Parish Bar and above it an old bell tower (shown below). The brick and timber west bell tower was built in 1646 with a tiled pyramid roof.
The Spurriergate Centre
The Spurriergate Centre cafe and shops (just up from the Ouse Bridge on the north side of the river), was once the Church of St Michael, Spurriergate, and first mentioned in 1086. The name Spurriergate comes from the medieval craftsmen and tradesmen who once worked in this area - the spurmakers.
There has been a church on this site since the Norman Conquest but the present building is the result of much re-building, renovation work and the tower is so reduced you hardly notice it but the bells still work and frequently rung.
The exterior is Perpendicular in style but the arcades are Late Norman or Transitional and provide a wonderful setting to eat beneath the Gothic columns and the very impressive 15th century stained glass windows colourfully illuminating the surroundings. The slender Norman pillars and arches holding up the roof date from the 12th century and are the oldest part of the building.
The elaborate 'Baroque' Reredos is believed to be the work of John & William Etty in the 18th century.
In the top arch of the Reredos is an image of the Dove representing the Holy spirit and above it is youthful figure of St Michael slaying the dragon.
The Merchant Taylors Hall
The Hall of the Company of Merchant Taylors of York (The Merchant Taylors' Hall of ~1415) set back off Aldwark. It was the medieval guild which regulated the economic function of the clothing trades. Inside the brick exteriors of 1672 and 1715 is the original late 14th century Great Hall, now the only example of a craft guild hall left in the city.
St Andrew's in Spen Lane
The medieval church of St Andrew's on the corner of Spen Lane and St Andrewgate was for a time disused but is now an Evangelical Church and so retains its original function. The nave and chancel are aisleless and the chancel was built in 1390-1392. It was reported that 'By 1736 there was a stable at one end but by 1842 it was the infant department of St Peter's School.
St Saviour's Church in St Saviourgate
'The Dig', an archaeological experience is now housed in the ex St Saviour's Church in St Saviourgate.
St Saviours was first mentioned ~1090 but was largely rebuilt in 1844-1845 by R. H. Sharp in the Perpendicular style.
The Unitarian Chapel in St Saviourgate
Also in St Saviourgate is the 'non-medieval' Unitarian Chapel, the earliest Nonconformist Church in York built in 1692-1693 as a Presbyterian Chapel, later to become a Unitarian Chapel. It is brick built in the form of a Greek cross plan with a small central pyramidal tower. Charles Wellbeloved, the an eminent scholar and historian was minister here from 1800 - 1858 and is buried here.
The St Sampson's over 60's centre
St Sampson's, Church Street, was first mentioned in 1152 and was rebuilt in 1440-1450 and again in 1848 but using much of the old stonework. It is now an over 60's centre, and close to Newgate Market.
The St Sampson stained glass window.
The tower of St Sampson from the 1440's rebuilding, Newgate Market is to the right.
The timber framed medieval house next to St Sampson ...
and the attractive medieval building by the enclosed 'tea garden' of St Sampson's over 60's centre
The 'hidden side' of St Samson's Church
docspics Yorkshire England images pictures © Phil Brown travel tours top tourist destinations tourist information weekend breaks mini-breaks family holidays restaurants touring coach trips pleasure cruises on the River Ouse Tourist information, Walks, Holidays in the City of York, Top tourist attractions, bargain accommodation in the City of York, self-catering cottages flats, luxury hotels, B&B, pubs with history & character, lively bars, good places to eat, dining out, restaurants, guided walks of York, coach tours, museums, art galleries, historic buildings, castles churches, medieval houses docspics images photos of the City of York, England © Phil Brown Tourist information on City of York, Things to do near City of York, What to see in City of York, Walks near City of York, Holidays near City of York, Top tourist attractions of City of York, luxury hotels near City of York, self-catering holiday cottages near City of York, B&B in City of York, friendly pubs near City of York, cafes in City of York, eating out in fine restaurants in City of York, weekend breaks near City of York, wining & dining weekends near City of York, touring coach tours including City of York, pretty villages near City of York, historic towns near City of York, visiting museums near City of York, local art galleries near City of York, guided walks from City of York