SCENES of The City of PARIS
of Paris Scenes
8. Musėe du National Moyen Age (Musee
de Cluny) - buildings and stonework
The Museum of the Medieval Middle
8. Musėe du National Moyen Age (Musee de Cluny) - buildings and stonework
The Museum of the Medieval Middle Ages
This medieval mansion was completed in 1500 by Jacques d'Amboise, Abbot of Cluny, Bergundy. It now houses one of the world's finest collections of medieval arts and crafts. The museums name comes Pierre de Chalus, Abbot of Cluny in Burgundy, who bought the ruins in 1330.
Sun dial (dated 1674) and exquisite carvings on the original medieval mansion house in the courtyard (see above).
In the museum are 28 heads of the Kings of Judah from excavations in the Rue del la Chausse behind the Opera House. The heads were originally on the statues of the King's Gallery on the west front of Notre Dame Cathedral. This line of statues of the 28 Kings of Judah and Israel, which was redesigned by Viollet-le-Duc to replace the statues destroyed during the French Revolution (the heads were knocked off, and eventually all the statues were pulled down. The revolutionaries mistakenly believed the statues to be French kings instead of biblical kings, so they decapitated them. Some of the heads were found during a 1977 excavation nearby and are now on display at the Museum of the Middle Ages.
Medieval tombstones of ? and ? in the museum.
The ruins of Gallo-Roman baths are incorporated into the medieval buildings of Musee de Cluny.
The baths were built about AD 200 and were used for a hundred years before being 'sacked' by 'barbarian' invaders.
French images pictures photos docspics France © Phil Brown * cheap flights to Paris train fares Eurostar luxury hotels Parisian restaurants bars cafes cheap holidays in France cheap Paris hotel rooms cheap flights to Paris art galleries in Paris historic churches in Paris museums in Paris where to stay in Paris tourist information for Paris best things to do in Paris top tourist attractions in Paris