Sedbergh Town and St Andrew's
Church, Pendragon Castle
1. Sedbergh Town
2. St Andrew's Church
3. Pendragon Castle
in the Yorkshire Dales National Park, North Yorkshire and East Cumbria
Dales and North Pennines Index
The Town of Sedbergh lies below the southern end of the Howgill range of
A great walk over
the Howgills (1) - Sedbergh - Cautley Spout to the Calf
walk over the Howgills (2) from Howgill Church to the Calf and Arant Haw
The small market in the car park at
The Dales @ Lakes Book Centre and Tourist Information centre in
The main street in Sedbergh
The Haddock Paddock Fish & Chips Cafe
and the Three Hares Cafes in Sedbergh.
Powells, good old fashioned grocer's
shop in Sedbergh.
Left: ? in Sedbergh, dated 1903 and
established in 1826. Right Sedbergh's Sleepy Elephant Books and Country
The Sedbergh Cafe and above it the
Amilah's Indian Restaurant and Takeaway.
The White Hart Sports & Social Club, and
The Red Lion pub in Sedbergh.
The Dalesmen Country Inn in Sedbergh
Left: The Bull Hotel in Sedbergh. Right:
Smatt's Duo Cafe
There is a handy little car park just down
from St Andrew's Church, Sedbergh, on the road to Dent.
The Main Street, Sedbergh, a pleasant and
friendly little market town with a fine parish church (see above and
After a little
refreshment in Sedbergh a
visit to the parish church before beginning a long walk over the Howgill
Sedbergh Notes From Wikipedia
Sedbergh (/ˈsɛdbər/ SED-bər or locally /ˈsɛbər/ SEB-ər) is a small town
and civil parish in Cumbria, England. The 2001 census gave the parish a
population of 2,705, increasing at the 2011 census to 2,765.
Historically in the West Riding of Yorkshire, it lies about 10 miles (16
km) east of Kendal, 28 miles (45 km) north of Lancaster and about 10
miles (16 km) north of Kirkby Lonsdale, just within the Yorkshire Dales
National Park. It stands at the foot of Howgill Fells, on the north bank
of the River Rawthey, which joins the River Lune 2 miles (3 km) below
Sedbergh has a narrow main street lined with shops. From all angles, the
hills rising behind the houses can be seen. Until the coming of the
Ingleton Branch Line in 1861, these remote places were reachable only by
walking over some steep hills. The line to Sedbergh railway station ran
from 1861 to 1954.
The civil parish covers a large area, including the hamlets of Millthrop,
Catholes, Marthwaite, Brigflatts, High Oaks, Howgill, Lowgill and
Cautley, the southern part of the Howgill Fells and the western part of
George Fox, a founder of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers),
spoke in the churchyard of St. Andrew's Church (which Quakers of the day
called a "steeple house") and on nearby Firbank Fell during his travels
in the North of England in 1652. Briggflatts Meeting House was built in
1675. It is the namesake of Basil Bunting's long poem Briggflatts
(1966). Sedbergh School is a co-educational boarding school in the town;
Settlebeck School is its main state-funded secondary school.
Sedbergh's parish church, dedicated to St Andrew, dates from the 12th
century, although restored periodically since then. There is at least
one house in the village dating from the 14th century, and there are
remains of a motte and bailey castle believed to date from Saxon times.
Sedbergh's main industries for many years were farming and the
production of woollen garments. Wool was taken to mills for spinning
into yarn, from which people in their homes knitted clothing such as
hats and socks. The garments were sold, for instance, to the coal miners
of the North-East England. This trade of long ago is remembered at
Farfield Mill, just outside the town, which has an exhibition of
weaving equipment and workshops for a number of artists and crafts
Historically, Sedbergh was part of the Ewecross wapentake in the West
Riding of Yorkshire. From 1894 to 1974 it was part of Sedbergh Rural
District. In 1974 it became part of the new county of Cumbria.
Sedbergh belongs to the Westmorland and Lonsdale parliamentary
constituency, of which Tim Farron is the current Liberal Democrats
member. Before Brexit, it was in the North West England European
For local government purposes Sedbergh is in the Kirkby Lonsdale ward of
South Lakeland District Council, which covers towns and surroundings
with a combined population of 6,369 at the 2011 Census. It belongs to
the Sedbergh + Kirkby Lonsdale Division of Cumbria County Council.
Sedbergh has its own parish council.
Economy and amenities
Personal incomes now come from a range of sources: the schools are major
employers. Sedbergh is also England's official book town (like
Hay-on-Wye in Wales and Wigtown in Scotland). Though smaller than these,
it has several independent bookshops and dealers. It is possible that
the employment in small to medium manufacturing and wholesale companies
matches or exceeds that of schools – a growing feature of the economy.
Other major sources of income are farming, retail and tourism. The
profile of Sedbergh rose considerably after it featured in a BBC
documentary series, The Town that Wants a Twin, airing for twelve
episodes in January and February 2005. One result was for Sedbergh to
twin with Zreče in north-eastern Slovenia.
The town suffered an outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease in 2001. As
livestock farming declined, it has been promoted as a destination for
walkers and ramblers. In 2015 the town was accepted as a Walkers are
The town golf club is located at Catholes-Abbott Holme.
A monthly booklet "Sedbergh and District Lookaround" gives details of
events and activities in the town and its organisations, along with
times of buses and religious services. It is available at local shops
for a suggested donation of £1. Online copies are available from its
2. St Andrew's Church,
St Andrew's Parish Church, Sedbergh
The south porch entrance to Pendragon
Castle, Mallerstang Dale, Cumbria.
The well kept garden and graveyard of
Pendragon Castle, Mallerstang Dale, Cumbria.
The path down to Pendragon Castle,
Mallerstang Dale, Cumbria.
St Andrew's Church, Sedbergh, East Cumbria,
founded around 1130, is well worth a visit and PLEASE leave a donation
or purchase the excellent guide booklet for the church. It has much 12th
and 13th century work and was restored in 1886.
Looking east down the nave into the chancel
and alter. The pulpit has a fine 18th century tester.
A relatively recent carving of St Andrew,
backed by his traditional diagonal cross, is seen over the Norman north
porch entrance and the stained glass east window (~100 years old) over the alter of St Andrews Church,
Sedbergh. The window depicts the call of Christ to Andrew and his
brother and fishing partner Peter: "Follow me, and I will make you
fishers of men".
The ? chapel in Pendragon Castle,
Mallerstang Dale, Cumbria.
The fine stained glass windows in
Pendragon Castle, Mallerstang Dale, Cumbria.
A general view down the nave to the
chancel, alter and east window of Pendragon Castle, Mallerstang Dale,
The organ and rebuilt Norman arches in the
nave of St Andrew's Church. The tower was probably added in the 14th
century, and further rebuilding and additions in the 16th and 19th
The graveyard of St Andrew's Church,
St Andrew's Church, Sedbergh Notes From Wikipedia,t
St Andrew's Church is in Main Street, Sedbergh, Cumbria, England. It is
an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Kendal, and the
diocese of Carlisle. Its benefice is united with those of St Mark,
Cautley, and St John the Baptist, Garsdale, to form the benefice of
Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale. The church is recorded in the National
Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building.
The present church dates mainly from about 1500, but fabric from earlier
churches has been incorporated. A major restoration was carried out in
1885–86 by the Lancaster architects Paley and Austin. This included
rebuilding the south aisle, its arcade and parts of the walling,
lowering the floor, and removing the gallery. A new pulpit, altar and
altar rails were added, which were made by Gillow. The restoration and
the additions cost £4,200.
St Andrew's is constructed in rubble stone with sandstone quoins and
dressings; it has a green slate roof. Its plan consists of a five-bay
nave with a clerestory and a porch, a north aisle with a vestry at the
east end, a south aisle with a chapel at the south end and a porch, a
chancel, and a west tower. The tower is in three stages, with the top
stage slightly corbelled out. At the summit is an embattled parapet with
pinnacles at the corners. It has buttresses on the west side, a
three-light west window, and three-light louvred bell openings. Along
both sides of the clerestory are five three-light windows. The aisles
have embattled parapets and four-light windows. The south porch is
gabled with a niche above the entrance, and a coped parapet. In the wall
of the south chapel is a priest's door with a sundial above it, and a
three-light window. The north porch is smaller than the south, and is
also gabled. It has a round-headed entrance, above which is a small
niche containing a statue, and a large carved stone finial. The inner
doorway is also round-headed, and is said to be Norman. At the northeast
corner of the north aisle is a flying buttress. The east end contains
three windows; the vestry and chancel windows have three lights, and the
chapel window has four lights.
The two arcades differ, the south arcade having six bays, and the north
arcade eight bays. Most of the piers are cylindrical, and most of the
arches are round-headed. The church contains wall memorials, and a
19th-century pulpit with a restored 18th-century sounding board. The
two-manual organ was built in 1895 by Norman Brothers and Beard, and
repaired and overhauled in 1986 by Rushworth and Dreaper of Liverpool.
There is a ring of eight bells, all cast in 1897 by John Taylor and
Company of Loughborough.
The churchyard is said to contain a yew tree under which George Fox
preached and contains the unmarked grave of poet, American loyalist and
Anglican missionary to colonial South Carolina, Revd. Charles Woodmason
The Church of Sedbergh School, the famous
public school founded in 1525. The famous geologist Adam Sedgwick was a
former pupil (see Dent page 28)
A splendid array of 'potted' flowers opposite
Sedbergh School, but onwards to the Howgills!
The Yorkshire Dales National Park, East Cumbria, England:
Sedbergh is a
lovely small and friendly town set in the hills of East
Cumbria and the western part of the Yorkshire Dales National
Park. Ellie's Bakery and Tea Room on Main Street, offers delicious home
cooked snacks and a fine cup of tea!
Cafe is another one of the good tearooms of Sedbergh and is across the road from the fine St Andrew's Parish
Church, originally dating from ~1130, its well worth a visit
and there is an excellent guide book to purchase to help in
the upkeep of this fine medieval church.
The Bull Hotel,
a 17th century coaching inn,
is located on Sedbergh's main street and offers good
traditional food and real ales after a good days walking on the Howgill Fells,
including Winder, which towers above Sedbergh Town.
3. Pendragon Castle
trip to Sedbergh, The Howgill Fells and Dentdale - The return
home via Pendragon Castle
After the page 29 walk we left the A683
Sedbergh-Kirkby Stephen road, to take a minor road at OS ref 756038
(the so-called 'Tommy Road') across to the B6259 road, which you join near Pendragon
Castle. So, more spectacular driving as you head towards
View north from the mound (motte) of Pendragon Castle, Mallerstang Dale,
View south from the walls of Pendragon Castle, Mallerstang Dale,
Pendragon Castle, standing on its defensive
mound, is a 12th century Norman
Keep with a 14th century garderobe turret.
The mound motte and defensive ditch of Pendragon Castle, Mallerstang
The highest remaining walls stand proud but
look a little fragile!
The slope down from the mound with the Nab
of Wild Boar Fell
in the distance-left.
Sheep happily graze around the castle ruins,
which are on private land, but access is allowed.
The limestone ridges of Mallerstang Edge runs right across the
western view from the castle.
Looking down to the road bridge, a river
crossing that would be defended by Pendragon Castle.
View north from Pendragon Castle, Mallerstang Dale, Cumbria towards Kirkby Stephen,
Defensive ditch of Pendragon Castle, Mallerstang Dale, Cumbria.
The peak of Wild Boar Fell on the distant
horizon and then off south on the B6259 to join the A684 and head east
Pendragon Castle - notes from Wikipedia
Pendragon Castle is a ruin located in Mallerstang Dale, Cumbria,
south of Kirkby Stephen, and close to the hamlet of Outhgill, at grid
reference NY781025. It stands above a bend in the River Eden, overlooked
by Wild Boar Fell to the south-west and Mallerstang Edge to the east. It
is a grade I listed building.
Pendragon Castle, looking down on the River Eden
According to legend, the castle was built by Uther Pendragon, father of
King Arthur, who is said to have unsuccessfully tried to divert the
river to provide its moat, as is recalled in a well-known local couplet:
Let Uther Pendragon do what he can,
Eden will run where Eden ran.
Uther (if he was indeed a real person) was possibly a 5th-century
chieftain who led resistance to the invading Anglo-Saxons. According to
another local legend, Uther and many of his men died here when the
Saxons poisoned the well (but other legends give St Albans as the
location for his death). There are several other "Arthurian" sites in
Cumbria – for example King Arthur's Round Table, near Penrith – and many
names in the North-west, such as Penrith and Cumbria, have Celtic
Pendragon Castle, ca 1740
Despite legend (and the discovery of a Roman coin) there is no evidence
of any pre-Norman use of this site. The castle was built in the 12th
century by Ranulph de Meschines, during the reign of King William Rufus.
It has the remains of a Norman keep, with the later addition of a
14th-century garderobe turret, and some further additions in the 17th
One of its most notable owners was Sir Hugh de Morville, Lord of
Westmorland, one of the four knights who murdered St Thomas Becket in
1170. A nearby high point on Mallerstang Edge is named after him, as
Hugh Seat. Another owner was Lady Idonea de Veteripont who, after the
death of her husband (Roger de Lilburn), spent much of her remaining
years living in the castle, until her death in 1334. Lady Idonea founded
the church of St Mary in the nearby hamlet of Outhgill, ca 1311.
The castle was attacked by Scots raiding parties in 1342 and again in
1541. After the latter attack it remained an uninhabitable ruin until it
passed into the hands of Lady Anne Clifford, who rebuilt it in 1660,
also adding a brewhouse, bakehouse, stables and coach-house. It remained
one of the favourites among her many castles until her death in 1676 at
the age of 86.
Lady Anne Clifford
Lady Anne's successor, the Earl of Thanet, had no use for the castle and
removed anything of value from it, including the lead from the roof. By
the 1770s much of the building above the second storey had collapsed,
and it has since gradually decayed further to become the romantic ruin
In 1962, the castle was sold at auction by Appleby Castle Estate to
Raven Frankland, a landowner and archaeologist, for £525. During the
Second World War, Frankland's father, Edward, had written a book about
the Arthurian legends associated with the castle. The current
owner, John Bucknall, inherited the castle following the deaths of his
cousin Raven in 1998 and Raven's wife Juliet in 2013.
In recent years some of the rubble has been cleared, some consolidation
of the crumbling walls has been undertaken, and a limited archaeological
survey has been carried out by the Lancaster University Archaeological
Unit published in 1996.
The castle is privately owned and on farmland. There is public access to
the outside of the building, with a warning that the castle walls should
not be entered. It appears that some remedial work has been carried out
with the aid of a grant.
The name Pendragon was first recorded in 1309 and is likely to have been
a product of later medieval enthusiasm for Arthurian romance. It is
less likely that the name is derived from Brittonic pen, meaning "head,
top, summit", and dragon, "dragon", honoratively "prince, warlord"
(Welsh pen draig).
Watch out as go further west towards Sedbergh
as the landscape gets higher and wilder and engineering-architectural
gems like the viaducts on the Settle-Carlisle railway (near Garsdale
Head in this case) and finally onto
Sedbergh in East Cumbria 'signposted' when the Howgill Fells (the object of the trip)
come into view.
A quick call in to the
whose starting point is at Leeming Bar, North Yorkshire, must come back
for a steam trip to Bedale and Leyburn, but no time, so driving
on to Castleton on the North York Moors, and so, back from visiting one
national park, to return home to live in another, brill!!!!
"Phil Brown's docspics take on Sedbergh and Pendragon
previous page <->
Northern England docspics images photos
© Phil Brown Tourist information, Walks, Holidays in the Yorkshire Dales
National Park, North Yorkshire England, Top tourist attractions, luxury
hotels, self-catering holiday cottages, B&B, friendly pubs, eating out
in fine restaurants, walking holidays, touring coach tours, pretty
villages, historic towns, museums, local art galleries, guided walks,
excellent fell hill walking in limestone country docspics images photos of
Sedbergh © Phil
Brown Tourist information on Sedbergh, Walks in the Sedbergh, Holidays
England, Top tourist attractions of Sedbergh, luxury hotels in Sedbergh,
self-catering holiday cottages near Sedbergh, B&B near Sedbergh, friendly pubs
near Sedbergh, cafes near Sedbergh, eating out in fine restaurants near
Sedbergh, weekend breaks near Sedbergh, wining & dining weekends
near Sedbergh, walking holidays around the
Sedbergh, touring coach tours including Sedbergh, pretty villages near
historic town/village of Sedbergh, museums near Sedbergh, local art galleries
near Sedbergh, guided walks from Sedbergh, excellent fell hill walking around
rambling, exploring the landscape near Sedbergh. good places to eat near
tourist attractions near Sedbergh tourist information for places near
Sedbergh good places for wining and dining near Sedbergh good walks near
Sedbergh properties for sale near Sedbergh, renting a
flat of house near Sedbergh, property for rent near Sedbergh, houses for
sale near Sedbergh, lettings near Sedbergh places to rent near Sedbergh
holiday cottage accommodation near Sedbergh docspics images photos of Sedbergh
northwest England © Phil Brown Tourist information on Sedbergh, Things
to do in Sedbergh, What to see in Sedbergh, Walks in Sedbergh, weekend
breaks in Sedbergh holidays in Sedbergh, Top tourist attractions of
Sedbergh, luxury hotels in Sedbergh, self-catering holiday cottages in
Sedbergh, B&B in Sedbergh, friendly pubs in Sedbergh, cafes in Sedbergh,
eating out in fine restaurants in Sedbergh, bargain holiday breaks in
Sedbergh, wining & dining weekends in Sedbergh, touring coach tours
including Sedbergh, pretty villages in Sedbergh, historic towns in
Sedbergh, visiting museums in Sedbergh, local art galleries in Sedbergh,
guided walks from Sedbergh, history of Sedbergh, architecture of
Sedbergh trains to Sedbergh historic houses in Sedbergh historic
churches in Sedbergh historic buildings good places to eat in Sedbergh
tourist attractions in Sedbergh tourist information
for things to do and see in Sedbergh good places to eat out in Sedbergh good walks
from Sedbergh tourist attractions properties for sale
in Sedbergh, renting a
flat of house in Sedbergh, property for rent in Sedbergh, houses for sale
lettings near Sedbergh places to rent in Sedbergh holiday cottages
accommodation in Sedbergh