Doc Brown's Edexcel GCSE Science-Physics Revision Notes
Edexcel GCSE Additional Science GCSE
Physics Unit P2 Physics for
your future STUDY NOTES
Physics Unit P2 Topic 1 Static and current
1.1 Be able to describe the structure of the atom,
limited to the position, mass and charge of protons, neutrons and electrons
- 1.2 Be able to explain how an insulator can
be charged by friction, through the transfer of electrons.
- 1.3 Be able to explain how the material
gaining electrons becomes negatively charged and the material losing
electrons is left with an equal positive charge.
- 1.4 Know that like charges repel and unlike
- 1.5 Be able to demonstrate an understanding
of common electrostatic phenomena in terms of movement of electrons,
- a) shocks from everyday objects
- b) lightning
- c) attraction by induction such as a charged
balloon attracted to a wall and a charged comb picking up small pieces of
- 1.6 Be able to explain how earthing removes
excess charge by movement of electrons.
- 1.7 Be able to explain some of the uses of
electrostatic charges in everyday situations, including paint and
- 1.8 Be able to demonstrate an understanding
of some of the dangers of electrostatic charges in everyday situations,
including fuelling aircraft and tankers together with the use of earthing to
prevent the build-up of charge and danger arising.
- 1.9 Know that an electric current is the
rate of flow of charge.
- 1.10 Know that the current in metals is a
flow of electrons.
- 1.11 Be able to use the equation:
- charge (coulomb, C) =
A) x time (second, s)
- 1.12 Know that cells and batteries supply
direct current (d.c.).
- 1.13 Be able to demonstrate an understanding
that direct current (d.c.) is movement of charge in one direction only.