23. St. Laurence's Church, Scalby
The Parish Church of St. Laurence's Church is the oldest building in Scalby and has its origins in the 12th century. The name Scalby is Scandinavian in origin and means 'hut abode' i.e. hamlet or village. Architecturally it dates back to ~AD 1180 though written links exist to show its association with Bridlington Priory as far back as 1130. Much of the land around would have been hunting forest in medieval times. The east window (on the left) is modern but other windows date from medieval times. The buttresses on the north wall date from the 15th century.
PLEASE leave A DONATION to help keep this lovely medieval church and there is an excellent guidebook available
The church consists of a nave, chancel, south aisle, tower and the entrance is via the south door.
The church tower (rebuilt in 1683), stained glass and the medieval font.
The pillars are older than the arches and probably represent the Transitional architecture from Norman to Early English. The arches were reconstructed in the 15th century. The pillars or columns have moulded capitals. The north wall (see above) has three windows, all of the same age and design, display quatrefoil tracery. The chancel arch, which can just be seen in the far centre, dates back to the late 12th century (~1180?).
On the first pillar of the nave arcade is inscribed "Pra Remember The Power" which means 'pray remember the poor'.
The graveyard is very pleasant spot on a summer evening.
A few traces of the external carving details of the medieval church can still be found and most windows stilll retain there medieval tracery.
Quite a nicely carved tomb.
Northern England North York Moors National Park docspics photos images pictures © Phil Brown Tourism information, top Tourist attractions, Walks, Holidays in North Yorkshire England, Top tourist attractions, luxury hotels, self-catering holiday cottages, B&B, good places to eat out restaurants, walking holidays, coach tours, historic towns and buildings, seaside holidays, art galleries, museums, rich north-east coast heritage site