7. St Nicholas Church, Worth, West Sussex
A really interesting old church, well worth a visit
A stained glass window in the south wall of the south transept of St Nicholas.
The old house by the church.
The 16th century restored lych-gate entrance to the church.
The view of St Nicholas Church from near the lych gate and lime trees. The church was founded around a 1000 years ago (950-1050 AD, possibly earlier), perhaps by King Edward ('Edward the Confessor'), the last Saxon King of England for his guests to worship in some of his favourite hunting country. It was built as an impressive church and it remains so today so ...
PLEASE leave a donation in the box provided to help in the upkeep of this wonderful old building, well worth a visit
View from the south west - west window, west entrance door (14th century), north tower, nave, south entrance and porch (built 1886), south transept. The style of the church is cruciform. The north bell tower is Victorian, replacing an earlier construction. However many parts of the church are Saxon with Norman-medieval, Tudor and Victorian additions and modifications.
View frm the south with the eastern apse on the right.
The south porch entrance in the south wall of the nave. Above on the left is a Saxon window (detail below) and on the right a 15th century window.
The Saxon window high up in the south wall of the nave.
View from the west - south transept, apse and north bell-tower.
Left: Stained glass in the north wall?
Right: The west end of the church - west window and doorway.
Most of the stonework of the nave walls and the three arches (north transept, chancel and south transept) are original Saxon stonework. The lofty arches of the north (left) and south (right) doorways into the transepts are characteristic of late Saxon architecture.
The largehancel is unique in an English church of this early period of church architecture. The huge chancel arch at the east end of the nave is one of the finest and largest surviving Saxon arches.
Looking west down the nave to the west window (14th century tracery, Victorian stained glass?) and west entrance and above is the organ and gallery (A gift from Rector of this Parish, Anthony Lynton in 1610).
A view of the pupit and arch of the north transeptfrom underthe great Saxon chancel arch.
An old chest in the south transept.
The octagonal Elizabethan pulpit dates from 1577.
Five panels of the pulpit are elaborately carved with figures of Our Lord and the Four Evangelists.
The two Saxon windows high up in the north wall of the nave. On left is the north end of the west gallery. In the centre is a blocked up Saxon? north doorway.
After the Norman Conquest, Worth Church was given by William the Conqerer to his son-in-law, William de Warenne, whose family coat of arms is depicted in the 12th century stained glass window in the north transept (shown above).
The 15th century roof beams of the south transept.
Left: A beautiful 15th century stained glass window in the south wall of the nave (Victorian stained glass?).
Right: Stained glass window in the south transept.
Set in the south wall is a sedilia with a Tudor arch (right) and 15th century piscina with a trefoil arch (left).
Southern English docspics images pictures © Phil Brown * Tourism information, Holidays in Southern England, Top tourist attractions, accommodation, luxury hotels, holiday cottages, weekend-breaks, B&B, friendly country pubs, restaurants, walking holidays, touring coach tours, museums, art galleries, historic towns, pretty villages, archaeological sites, coach tours trips out
TOP OF PAGE