17. Leicester (11) East St Martin's and The Free Grammar School
Scenes from the English 'MIDLANDS'
The Area around Orton Square
Orton Square derives its name from the playwright Joe Orton
St George's Church in Rutland Street was built in 1823-1827 (William Parsons) and the chancel added in 1879 by Sir A. Blomfield. The church suffered a disastrous fire in 1911 and was rebuilt by W. D. Caroe. It is built in the English Perpendicular style with a west tower. It is large and solidly built and the first church to be built in Leicester after the reformation. It is now used as a Serbian Orthodox (Ortodox) Church in this quiet 'secluded' area in the middle of busy Leicester.
The Athena, in Queen Street, was originally built as the Odeon Cinema in 1936 to a 'Streamline Moderne'/'art deco' design by Robert Arthur Bullivent. It is now a venue for weddings, dinners and conference centre etc.
Alexandra House was built in 1833/1895? at the corner of Rutland Street and Southampton Street to a design by the architect Edward Burgess. It was originally a bootlace warehouse of Faire Brothers. This stone building is decorated with fine terracotta work of figures and foliage.
In Phoenix Square near Upper Brown Street, is the relatively new Phoenix Cafe, Gallery, Theatre, Cinema, 'Music Venue' and Bar is not too far from the medieval Guildhall representing somewhat different contrasting black and white styles of architecture!
East St Martin
10 Loseby Lane in East St Martin, Leicester, once a house but now part of the commercial side of East St Martins.
The 'old' doorways of 10 Loseby Lane and 21 St Martin's, two houses in East St Martin.
Number 21 St Martins was an eighteenth century urban gentleman's house, what splendid accommodation it must have been when in residence!
The Old Grammar School and a pub!
The Free Grammar School (an educational establishment founded in 1573) building was, as the plaque on it reads, 'built using materials salvaged from the medieval church of St Peter and has been restored to preserved its historic fabric by Hammerson in 2006'.
The Coat of Arms on the front wall of the Free Grammar School of 1573.
Across the road from the Free Grammar School is the Richard III pub, well, a lesson for us all from 1485, but the workmen engaged on the big town centre development project don't seem too worried! The medieval centre of the City of Leicester is contemporary with the demise of Richard III, so no surprise that a pub is named after him! However, he actually stayed at the Blue Boar before riding out to meet his fate at the battle of Bosworth Field in 1485!
Index of LEICESTER 07. (1) De Montfort Hall, Victoria Park, War Memorials, Temples & 'domestic' buildings * 08a. (2a) Castle Yard, Castle House, external architecture of St Mary de Castro Church * 08b. (2b) Interior of St Mary de Castro Church * 09. (3) Newarke Houses Museum & Turret Gateway * 10. (4) Jain Centre, Magazine Gatehouse, Castle Park-Gardens, Grand Union Canal Bridge * 11a. (5a) St Martin's Cathedral Church * 11b. (5b) Medieval Guildhall * 12. (6) Wygston's House, St Margaret's Church & two Victorian Gothic Revival Churches * 13. (7) Jewry Wall, Roman Baths, Museum & St Nicholas Church * 14. (8) All Saints Church , Great Central & Leicester Railway Stations, Thomas Cook statue * 15a. (9) New Walk and Sculptures 15b. Holy Cross Church * 15c. Museum & Art Gallery * 16. (10) Sporting sculpture & Leicester Market * 17. (11). Area around Orton square, East St Martins & Free Grammar School * 21. (12) National Space Centre & Abbey Pumping Station Museum * 29. (13) Knighton Village * 20a. Great Central Railway
East Midlands West Midland England docspics photos images pictures © Phil Brown Leicester Leicestershire Derbyshire Rutland Rutlandshire tourism destinations holidays tourist information top tourist attractions best luxury hotels B&B, cafes, restaurants, historic towns, pretty villages, museums, art galleries, self-catering holiday cottages