11. LONDON A Trip to Greenwich
Cameo Snapshot Images of the City of London
The statue of Sir Walter Raleigh on the south riverside bank near the Royal Navel college.
Canary Wharf station - to get the London Docklands Light Railway (DLR) out to Greenwich.
Quite interesting and pleasing architecture. These are fully automated driverless trains, so you easily can take photographs through the front or rear windows!
Hawksmore's St Alfege's Church, Greenwich, you pass by on the way from Greenwich Station to the Wren's great buildings on the bank of the River Thames. This was originally a medieval church, but the present 'Baroque' building was constructed between 1711 and 1714 and replaced a medieval church in which Henry VIII was baptised and Thomas Tallis is buried ('The Father of English church music').
The south entrance to the pedestrian only Greenwich foot tunnel opened in August 1902.
Greenwich Pier for the River Thames cruisers full of eager tourists.
The cannon on the river bank at Greenwich.
A magnificent Baroque sight! The Royal Navel College from 1873 (prior to this it was the Royal Navel Hospital, especially in the Napoleonic Wars!). On the left is the Queen Mary and Queen Anne east building (begun 1698) and on the right the west King William building (begun 1699, completed by Vanbrugh in 1728). These are the major further development of Greenwich Hospital by Sir Christopher Wren was begun in 1698.
The grand river bank entrance to Sir Christopher Wrens' Royal Navel College, which its characteristic and iconic twin domed towers.
The Chapel of St Mary in the Queen Mary building and its altar piece were planned by Wren. The vast painting above the altar is 25 ft high and represents St Paul and the Viper. The current chapel owes much to the plaster work of William Newton (after 1774) whose decorative detail is amongst the best in London.
The main hall of 'Painted Hall' of the King William building dates from 1703, and is painted with murals by Sir James Thornhill
The ceiling of the main hall of the Painted Hall by Sir John Thornhill, 1707-1717 and shows William and Mary attended by the four cardinal virtues - prudence, justice, restraint or temperance and courage or fortitude.
In the upper hall of the Painted Hall Vice Admiral Horatio, Lord Nelson (1758-1805) was laid in state here when his body was returned from the Battle of Trafalgar.
The west domed tower.
The National Maritime Museum is across the road from the Royal Navel College.
Two great anchors greet you as you enter the Royal Maritime Museum.
On the left is the figurehead of the steam yacht 'Sunbeam' which in July 1876 began an eleven voyage of adventures by Mr and Mrs Brassey, later Lord and Lady Brassey. It was the first 'round the world' voyage for pleasure!
On the right is a bronze-alloy propeller made for the Type-23 'Duke Class' frigates of the Royal Navy.
K2 ??? metal hulled yacht.
Yacht GBR 714
Left the figurehead from HMS Hereweare depicting a jester.
Right: The figurehead from HMS Dee of 1832, she was a 4-gun paddle sloop that saw service in the North Atlantic, the West Indies and anti-slavery patrols on the African coast.
The stained glass windows in the National Maritime Museum
The Stained glass from the Baltic Exchange
Soon after the First World War, the artist John Dudley Forsyth (1874–1926) was commissioned to design a series of stained glass windows for the Baltic Exchange. The windows formed part of a memorial to the 60 members of the Exchange who lost their lives during World War I. Forsyth's stained glass was unveiled in 1922 and consisted of a half-dome and five large windows in which the subject is heroic and likens the British Empire to the Roman Empire.
On the April 10th 1992, a bomb exploded outside the Baltic Exchange killing three people and caused severe damage to the building, including Forsyth's stained glass windows. Of the 240 panels in the dome, only 45 remained completely intact and the windows below were badly damaged. The conservators at Goddard & Gibbs began working on the restoration of the Baltic Exchange glass in 1995.
As much as possible of the original glass was salvaged from the bomb wreckage and passed to conservators to try to 'rebuild' as many of the stained glass panels as possible. Unfortunately, the damage to the Baltic Exchange Hall was too great leading to its dismantling in 1998 so its final resting place is now the National Maritime Museum.
The skyscrapers of Canary Wharf viewed through the windows of the National Maritime Museum.
The silhouette of the church tower of St Alfege in the late afternoon light in Greenwich.
Canary Wharf illuminated by the setting sun as viewed from ??? Hill? Below are the buildings of the Royal Navel College.
The O2 Arena and the chimneys of ???
Canary Wharf and the O2 Arena.
The octagonal tower of the Royal Observatory, Greenwich. It was probably designed by Wren and constructed of red brick with stone dressing in 1675-1676. In 1772 two pavilions were added in front of the octagonal building which looks out over the Royal Navel College. The Royal Observatory is the longest established scientific institution in Britain. It was established by Charles II to house his Astronomer Royal, John Flamsteed. The oldest part of the complex was built by Wren, himself a trained astronomer.
London England docspics images pictures © Phil Brown
What to visit in London? Where to eat out in London? Where to stay in London? What Shows to see in London? Cheap Coaches to London Trains Flights to London, bargain train fares, luxury Hotels, B&B, self-catering holiday flats, budget accommodation in London, hostels to suit all budgets, tourism information, top tourist attractions in London, museums, art galleries, gardens, London guided tours, good local transport, buses, commuter trains, London underground tube stations, rover tickets, cheap train fares, River Thames boat trips, ticket booking, London buses, West End theatres, famous historic buildings in London, churches, London parks to walk in